Is It Time to Get a New Scale or Balance?
- April 15th, 2020
- Category: Equipment Guides
We understand, you get attached to your lab balance. You’ve had it for years and tend to rely on it like a third hand. But how long is too long to use the same balance? When is it time for a replacement?
First off, consider these questions:
- Does your balance need maintenance more often than it used to?
- Does your balance hold its calibration, or does it need to be recalibrated after just a few weighing tasks?
- Are its weighing results consistently unstable, with drift or unexplained jumps? Have the stability and repeatability become inaccurate?
- Are there signs of corrosion in the pan or at access points?
- Have your weighing needs changed, or do you need more advanced features?
Answering yes to any of those questions does not necessarily mean you need to replace your balance; these issues could have a straightforward solution. A simple Google search or trip to a certified technician could answer all your problems. However, if your balance has repeated issues or requires frequent maintenance, the money and time may not be worth it.
Often times, a replacement is a better decision than a repair. Your balance needs are an important aspect to consider. Would a newer device be more productive? The main benefits of upgrading are that the newest balance technologies allow labs to be more effective and cost-efficient.
If you do decide that a new balance is needed, check out Humboldt’s scale and balance wizard to find one that fits all your needs
With a variety of capacities, readabilities, and price points, we are sure to have one for you. Additionally, see our newsletter to find out how you can save 10% on any Adam Equinox Precision Balance.